Friday, April 14, 2006

Prefactoring: Why I Look Forward to Reading the Book



Ken Pugh's Jolt award winning book Prefactoring has got off to an unfortunate bad start, judging from a bunch of nasty response it has generated from the blogger community (example 1, 2, 3). It seems most of these are based on an Amazon review, which Ken Pugh says 'not approved by me and was full of marketing hype'. In addition, I also noted that many of these detractors haven't actually read the book!
I haven't read the book either, so I'm not going to take sides here. But I dare say I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the book.
My initial impression: Although prefactoring and refactoring may not be worlds apart, they are NOT the same thing either, and they are NOT competing techniques.
While I fully believe in refactoring mercilessly, I'll also go out on a limb and say that the right mix of prefactoring and refactoring should win the day. Who cares if Ken gave a name (BTW, catchy name) to something any good programmer would do anyway?
On a separate note, I also look forward to any response from the refactoring folks (such as Martin Fowler).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment